Prevention is the best medicine.
This certainly applies to taking care of your oral health. Regular dental exams and teeth cleanings are essential for keeping your smile looking and feeling great. If you're searching for a friendly and skilled preventive dentist in Franklin Springs, Georgia, we'd love to see you at Chandler Dental Partners.
What Is Preventive Dental Care?
Preventive dentistry helps maintain good overall oral health. It has two main parts: at-home habits, like brushing and flossing, and regular professional dental visits.
Dental Exams and Teeth Cleanings
Brushing and flossing at home is crucial, but routine dental cleanings are also essential for keeping your teeth and gums in top condition. A dentist uses specialized dental tools to remove the plaque and tartar you simply cannot remove or even reach at home. Most patients need two routine cleaning visits each year. Other patients require more frequent checkups and cleanings.
In addition to giving your teeth and gums a good clean, we will conduct a complete oral exam to check for gum disease, tooth decay, TMJ issues and oral cancer. The exam might include taking X-rays. The goal is to catch problems early when they are easiest to treat. We may also recommend fluoride treatments or dental sealants, a fantastic preventive technology that's especially beneficial to children.
Benefits of Preventive Dental Care
Most people know that regular dentist visits can help prevent plaque build-up that causes tooth decay, but there are many other benefits, such as:
- Preventing gum disease. Gum disease is the leading cause of tooth loss in people over the age of 35. It's caused by a build-up of bacterial plaque and starts below the gum line, so it's not always easy to detect. The good news is gum disease is reversible in its early stages, so keeping up with regular dental visits lets you stop gum disease in its tracks.
- Preventing or eliminating bad breath. There are many potential causes of bad breath. One of them is the build-up of odor-causing plaque and bacteria that gets removed during a dental cleaning. Other causes of bad breath are infections, cavities, dry mouth and gum disease — all issues routine dental checkups can identify and treat.
- Identifying jaw problems. If you grind your teeth at night, you can do a lot of damage to your teeth without realizing it. Your dentist will check for signs of teeth grinding or jaw clenching and recommend solutions.
- Reducing the risk of some serious health issues. Bacteria in the mouth can enter the bloodstream, triggering inflammation that leads to serious diseases like diabetes and heart disease. Taking routine care of your oral health can benefit your overall health.
- Beautifying your smile. Regular professional teeth cleanings help prevent discoloration. Overall, preventive dental care helps keep your gums and teeth as healthy and attractive as possible.
What If I Haven't Seen a Dentist in a Long Time?
We understand that sometimes life gets in the way of visiting the dentist. Also, many people experience anxiety around dental visits. Our compassionate staff firmly believes it is never too late to regain healthy dental habits. We strive to provide dental care with a gentle touch in a warm and welcoming environment. Everyone can benefit from preventive dental care.
Preventive Dental Care in Franklin Springs
Now you know the secret to healthy teeth, fresh breath and a beautiful smile for life: preventive dental care! We are very pleased to offer comprehensive preventive services to our friends and neighbors in the counties of Franklin, Hart, Madison and the surrounding area. Please contact us for an appointment today!